Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Email Feb. 20, 2012*

Dear Mom,

Well we had the baptism of Isaías this week! I am so happy! As you can see in the pictures, 2 Paraguayans got wet. That is what I am talking about. We were finally able to get our mission leader involved in the teaching towards the end and Isaías wanted him to baptize him. That is what I was hoping and working for and we got it to happen. They are pretty good friends. Isaías is a young kid, but he doesn't act like it. So anyway... The week didn't come without its fair share of difficulties though...

Wednesday morning we were going over the baptismal interview questions with Isaías so he knew what to expect and an unexpected doubt came... He told us that he wasn't sure if he could be baptized. At first I was sort of in shock, but after talking to him for a few minutes I knew that he was very serious. The Spirit was so strong. After a few minutes of talking, I felt prompted to ask him about when he got his answer about Joseph Smith. I asked him if he believed that God would answer another prayer just like that one. He said yes. We committed him to pray. We promised him that he would be ready to answer the questions in the interview the following day if he did his part. The next day the interview went great.

I love missionary work.

The part I don't love about missionary work. There is never any water in Paraguay when you need it.... Filling up a baptismal font requires water.... We had to drag a hose from the street to fill up the font, and the pressure was so low that I had to suck on the hose to make a siphon to get the water to climb the window... Hahahahaha I love La Paloma, Paraguay. After hours and hours, the font was filled.

Friday I got a little bold with our 85 year old investigator. She keeps telling us that she believes that what we say is true, but I love a part in Preach My Gospel that says, without prayer, no one can know that the message of the Restoration is true. Or something like that. Anyway. She told us about a dream she had a long time ago where Christ told said, if you want to know, pray "Padre Nuestro". Which is the Lord's Prayer. In Spanish there are 2 verbs to pray, orar and rezar. When people recite prayers, generally you say the verb rezar. Anyway. Divurcia, weird name I know.. wouldn't pray how we have been commanded to pray and she finally told us about her dream. So being a little bold and a little scared I might give her a heart attack, (KO always talks about being bold and I love it) I told her, Divurcia, You will never know that this is true unless you pray how we have taught you. As representatives of Jesus Christ, I know that he wants you to pray in this way and not in the other. So she prayed. It was cool. She said she couldn't afford a taxi this week and that she was leaving on Saturday for the weekend to go get some money from her son, so she didn't come to church, but I am hoping for next week. She is great. Hahaha. I still love, "I fell and broke my bum."


Anyway. I love you all. Things are going pretty well for me here in Paloma. Thank goodness for gmail and the automatic save. You are receiving this email later than normal because the power went out in the middle of this paragraph. This week we will be heading into Asunción for zone conference. First time seeing Asunción for a while. It will be kinda weird to be in the city again. We will be taking the all nighter bus on Wednesday night.

Dont know if you already sent my package for my birthday with my bag in it, but I always love me some oreo pudding. Taco seasoning and stuff to make ranch dressing would be cool. Dont know what else. Just snacks. I am good on my meds. I will be needing another multivitamin here in 3 months or so, so maybe throw that in.

Ok. Love you Mom! I love you family and friends as well... but not as much as my mom... Sorry. Deal with it. Have a good week!

Love, Elder Naegle

p.s. still no letter from you mom.









No comments:

Post a Comment