Monday, October 10, 2011

Email October 10, 2011

Hello Mother!

Well I am glad that you had a good time in New York. Sounds like it was a good time. I am glad you made it home safe. Everything else sounds like it is going really well. Tell Angie congratulations for me. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend. I am planning on having a baptism that day.. Haha but seriously we really are. That is round about the last time Elder Shirk can have any baptisms cause he leaves on the 10th and so we are working hard.

Alright. Before I begin about the week... I must explain... I just had a lunch appointment with a convert in the other Trinidad area. We ate mondongo.... It is the stomach liner I believe... It isn´t that bad, but one of my pieces was black and smelled... well it smelled like poo. About half way through it my face broke and I had a moment of weakness. O fcourse the sister saw me in that moment. She says something like, you don´t like it?? I said yes, I like it, it is delicious. But these two pieces are different, what kind is this? She says they are the exact same.... Clearly they were not the exact same. One was white. The other was black and smelled. Hahahaha I have some terrible luck. None of the other missionaries got a piece like I did. So forgive me because I am feeling a bit sick right now.

I got some dearelders monday. Loved them. Maybe you could include Mikey T? I would like to hear how he is doing. So this week we decided to take care of business like Eric Belnap always says. We have basically no investigators right now... So we went out and worked hard and found some. We found Mari. At first it was a shady situation, her mom comes out. Gives us the usual Paraguayan excuse of I am catholic. Then she sees that we are two tall Americans and says to us, there are 3 girls inside. Come in, come in. Hahaha I thought, oh great... At first, Mari wasnt that interested. But she accepted a return appointment and when we came back she had read the whole lesson 1 pamphlet we had left with her. Which is a big deal here in Paraguay. She was really interested. We invited her to be baptized again, she was hesitant and wanted to know what she had to do. So we went over all of the baptismal interview questions with her. It was a really cool experience. Unfortunately she took off for the weekend so she didn't come to church, but I am hoping this week she will be home.

Funny story for the week. Well the first part isnt funny. So don´t laugh until the second part. Friday. We were talking to Irma. She is the less active who is married to Amado. Her life is absolutely miserable. Her kids dont listen to her at all. She cant leave the house or her husband will sell her stuff to buy his booze. She broke down in tears and told us that she doesn't want live in this world anymore. What do I share with someone like this? I have shared scriptures about the atonement with her, and how the Savior knows exactly what she is going through. But she has lost all hope. It is so so sad. So anyway. As we were talking to her. An extremely drunk man. And I mean extremely drunk, comes staggering by. He walks into the yard, and starts getting into my face. He could barely stand, barely talk. But he was acting like he was going to hit me. I had no idea what to do. He kept grinding his teeth and it sounded like firecrackers in his mouth. I kept telling him, bueno, hermano, we are going to pray. How about we say a prayer for you? Haha but he just wanted to hit me or something. Irma and her kids were just sitting there laughing at me. Finally Irma got up and took him out of the yard. It was pretty funny. But that woke up the drunk Amado. He comes out super mad. Hahaha then he sees us and gets all lovey and starts hugging my comp and I. It was crazy. I hate alcohol more than ever. It is so cheap here and Paraguay is drinking it like there is no tomorrow.

Sunday we didnt have any investigators in church, but Damians whole family came. It was so cool. His Dad isn't a member, but both his mom and dad need a divorce and they have no money so they cant afford one, let alone 2. Anyway, they used to come to church, but someone told them that since they werent living the law of chastity they couldn´t come to church anymore. So it was so awesome to see both of them in church. It made me feel the real joy of missionary work. I love it. It is awesome. This is the work of the Lord.

Love, Elder Naegle

P.s. This is a bridge in between the two areas. It is pretty crazy going across. You feel like you are going to fall and catch a disease in the infested waters.....




No comments:

Post a Comment